CEU Approval Guidelines
Steps for Having Courses, Workshops, and Professional Activities Approved for Continuing Education Units
Step 1. Ensure your program or activity is eligible for CEU approval
Seminars, workshops, short courses, certificate programs and educational trainings with a scheduled meeting time.
Activities that use methods of instruction such as: supervised independent study, directed reading, or project-based assignments
License renewal programs and paraprofessional training programs
Academic credit carrying programs - secondary and collegiate
Committee meetings or other business meeting type activities
Entertainment or recreational /athletic activities
Cultural performances and social events
Work experience, on-the-job training or apprenticeships
Pre-examination preparation programs and activities
Step 2. Ensure your non-credit activity meets the following criteria:
will be held in an organized and structured setting
is a minimum of 5 instructional hours
is planned to fulfill a specific educational need and has a clear purpose and objective
will have qualified instructional personnel directly involved in conducting the activity
has a specific performance requirement participants must complete to be awarded CEUs
has a participant evaluation process
Step 3. Submit the following information 14 days prior to the activity start date:
- a detailed program agenda/schedule that includes start and end times
- all instructor/speaker vitas or resumes
- a copy of the course evaluation form
- any pertinent program materials (program brochure, flyer, or website address)
Step 4. Once a course is approved:
- the program instructor or sponsoring unit must submit a course sign-in sheet to verify participant attendance and a copy of participant course evaluations
- course sign-in sheets and participant course evaluations must be submitted within two-weeks of program completion
- CEUs will not be awarded until course sign-in sheets, participant course evaluations, and payment is received in full from the participant or sponsoring group. Groups paying for participant CEUs can submit payment by check or JV transfer (MSU departments only). For information on where to send checks or submit JV payments contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 662-325-1457.
CEU course approvals are good for one calendar year from the date of approval. After one year all courses must be renewed. Course renewals do not require additional documents or payment. Those wishing to renew a course within the one year course approval time can send the CEU Approval Form to email@example.com. The description will be the original course number. Please complete all other information on the form.
* Only courses with the exact same instructor, location, agenda, etc., will be considered a renewal course.
Important Things to Remember
- All course approvals are good for one calendar year from the date of approval.
- Submitted CEU approval request will be reviewed within three business days.
- Participant CEUs cannot be awarded until course sign-in sheets, course evaluation forms, and CEU payment is received in full.
For more information or questions please contact email Amber Shultice at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 662-325-1457.